Inspiring NEL residents to follow a career in health & social care
Increasing the number of local people accessing local careers in health and social care and supporting a sustainable health and care workforce through multiple training opportunities.
In 2019 we started working as the Engagement Partner for the North East London Health & Care Partnership’s Careers Project focussed on:
- Ensuring that young people & job seekers in NEL know about the local career opportunities in health and care
- Working to get local people into local jobs in health and care
- Helping people understand the range of roles and opportunities and how the sector connects
- Using local people who work in the sector as careers ambassadors
- Responding to the careers needs of schools & job seekers, developing what’s available over time
- Building a network of over 160 career ambassadors including administrators, carers, nurses, doctors, allied health professionals and IT and finance staff from a wide range of organisations across Primary, Secondary and Social Care, Mental Health and Community Trusts, Local Authorities, Commissioning, HEE and NHSX
- Engaging over 10,000 14-18 year olds across a host of school and college engagement events in North East London.
- Participation at some of the country’s biggest recruitment events such as Skills London at the Excel Centre that attracted 35,000 Londoners
- Approximately 500 average monthly users on the NEL Careers website
- Hosted first Virtual Careers Week running Career Surgeries and Top Tips for CV development and job applications for 25 students over three days
Through our involvement as a Career Ambassador with Care City and the NEL HCP Careers Programme, we were able to meet with 40 students at a careers workshop, hosted by Barking and Dagenham College and help them understand the local careers opportunities available to them in the health and social care sector. As a result, we have been able to forge connections with the college and recruit four students to take up carer work placements.Pooja Barot, Owner, Shreeji Training